Skip to main content

Painting with Plants: Art Challenge

To start off with, I was invited by a friend to participate in Draw With Jazza's August 2017 Challenge of the Month. Feeling confident that in a jury of our peers, anything that I drew would be rated above anything that she drew, unless we were both drawing horses (her specialty), I agreed to this challenge before I had the chance to brush up on what this might entail. Little did I know that I was agreeing to create a piece of art made with non-art materials on a piece of paper. Having said that, allow me to give you a run down of how to create a watercolor-like painting with an Aloe Vera plant and some food coloring.

Step 1: Chop off a few sprigs from your least favorite, and least likely to die, bit of Aloe Vera.

Step 2: Squeeze and roll the Aloe Vera sprigs between your fingers to break it up and release the gooey liquid inside. Do this until you have an acceptable amount of liquid to work with.

Step 3: Use a toothpick to add very small amounts of food coloring to the Aloe Vera until you get the desired color. Be sure to test this color on a spare piece of paper. I placed a drop of food coloring in a separate bowl to make this easier and then used a plastic toothpick so the color wouldn't soak into it. 

Step 4: Pull out a paintbrush and paint. Treat it like a very watered down version of watercolor. I was too lazy to mix a second color so I ended up just adding more food coloring to get slightly different shades.

All in all, I think it turned out pretty well. I might even keep the leftover "paint" to do some more art stuff tomorrow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crow: Art

I did this pretty drawing of a girl and a crow on August 3rd, 2017. I thought that I could go through how I got to my final results. First off, of course, I grabbed a few reference pictures to draw from. Having references is super important. Most people find it really difficult to make accurate proportions without them, and since I've never drawn a crow before I didn't have enough experience to draw one from memory. It is not letting me add the third one, but it is just a picture of eyes that I grabbed while doing the shading. Secondly, I drew my reference lines. In pencil of course. Most of the time these lines are absolutely essential, but some times you can skip them like I did with painting for "Painting With Plants." I like to have my reference lines be exactly what I will follow when I start the finishing stages. The next step is always different for every artist. It tends to be different for me depending on the day as well. But for this piece,

Reminiscing About Work

So, as I near the end of my tenure at my workplace and prepare to go back to college, I wanted to just share some things about my experiences while working at an animal care facility. Some of the things that I will miss:  The people. I made some friends while working and they aren't people that I am likely to ever see again. I also never exchanged contact information with them so we probably wont keep in touch either. But I think I will miss their kindness, the jokes, and the strange would you rather questions that went on for hours. The animals. The animals weren't always nice, and I didn't often work directly with them. Nut I enjoyed watching them while I was waiting for a quarantine to be cleared. Especially the rabbits. They're like big balls of floof that make the cutest expressions. The work itself. Just that feeling of accomplishment when you got one task done and were able to move onto the next. Or when you are part of an assembly line of switching out a